- Ethnic-specific prevalence of peripheral arterial disease in the United States.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 328-333
- Comparison of global estimates of prevalence and risk factors for peripheral artery disease in 2000 and 2010: a systematic review and analysis.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1329-1340
- The exercise pressor reflex and changes in radial arterial pressure and heart rate during walking in patients with arteriosclerosis obliterans.Angiology. 1999; 50: 361-374
- Oxidative stress contributes to the augmented exercise pressor reflex in peripheral arterial disease patients.J Physiol. 2012; 590: 6237-6246
- Blood pressure in patients with intermittent claudication increases continuously during walking.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2007; 33: 20-25
- Blood pressure and calf muscle oxygen extraction during plantar flexion exercise in peripheral artery disease.J Appl Physiol. 2017; 123: 2-10
- Blood pressure and leg deoxygenation are exaggerated during treadmill walking in patients with peripheral artery disease.J Appl Physiol. 2017; 123: 1160-1165
- The value of treadmill exercise test parameters together in patients with known or suspected peripheral arterial disease.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012; 19: 192-198
- Usefulness of hypertensive blood pressure response during a single-stage exercise test to predict long-term outcome in patients with peripheral arterial disease.Am J Cardiol. 2008; 102: 921-926
- Exercise blood pressure and future cardiovascular death in asymptomatic individuals.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2109
- Systolic blood pressure response to exercise stress test and risk of stroke.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2036-2041
- 2016 AHA/ACC guideline on the management of patients with lower extremity peripheral artery disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: e71-e126
- Supervised walking therapy in patients with intermittent claudication.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 56: 1132-1142
- Physical activity during daily life and mortality in patients with peripheral arterial disease.Circulation. 2006; 114: 242
- Association between physical activity and mortality in patients with claudication.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2020; 53: 732-739
- Patients with peripheral artery disease who complete 12-week supervised exercise training program show reduced cardiovascular mortality and morbidity.Circ J. 2009; 73: 167-173
- Effect of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor with or without supervised exercise on walking performance in patients with peripheral artery disease: the PROPEL randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2089-2098
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells are reduced in peripheral vascular complications of type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 1449-1457
- Measurement and interpretation of the ankle-brachial index: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2890-2909
- A comparative study of treadmill tests and heel raising exercise for peripheral arterial disease.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1997; 13: 301-305
- The validity of psychometric instruments for detection of dementia in the elderly general population.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1998; 13: 368-380
- Progressive vs single-stage treadmill tests for evaluation of claudication.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1991; 23: 402-408
- Six-minute walk is a better outcome measure than treadmill walking tests in therapeutic trials of patients with peripheral artery disease.Circulation. 2014; 130: 61-68
- Association of 6-minute walk performance and physical activity with incident ischemic heart disease events and stroke in peripheral artery disease.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4: e001846
- Baseline functional performance predicts the rate of mobility loss in persons with peripheral arterial disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 974-982
- Prognostic value of functional performance for mortality in patients with peripheral artery disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1482-1489
- Treadmill exercise and resistance training in patients with peripheral arterial disease with and without intermittent claudication: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 165-174
- American Society of Echocardiography recommendations for use of echocardiography in clinical trials: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's guidelines and standards committee and the task force on echocardiography in clinical trials.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2004; 17: 1086-1119
- Exercise training improves functional status in patients with peripheral arterial disease.J Vasc Surg. 1996; 23: 104-115
- Lower ankle/brachial index, as calculated by averaging the dorsalis pedis and posterior tibial arterial pressures, and association with leg functioning in peripheral arterial disease.J Vasc Surg. 2000; 32: 1164-1171
- Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham Risk Score to predict cardiovascular events and mortality: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2008; 300: 197
- The ankle-brachial index in the elderly and risk of stroke, coronary disease, and death: the Framingham Study.Arch Int Med. 2003; 163: 1939-1942
- A meta-analysis of the outcome of endovascular and noninvasive therapies in the treatment of intermittent claudication.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 54: 1511-1521
- Systematic review of exercise training or percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for intermittent claudication.B J Surg. 2012; 99: 16
- Supervised exercise versus primary stenting for claudication resulting from aortoiliac peripheral artery disease: six-month outcomes from the claudication: exercise versus endoluminal revascularization (CLEVER) study.Circulation. 2012; 125: 130-139
Clinical Trial registration: NCT01408901.
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute supported this work ( R01-HL107510 ). The Jesse Brown VA Medical Center supported this work. The American Heart Association’s strategically focused vascular research network also supported this work ( 18SFRN3397000097 ).
Author conflict of interest: M.M.M. reports other research support from Mars Inc, Art Assist, Chromadex, ReserveAge, and Helixmith. The other authors report no conflicts.
Additional material for this article may be found online at www.jvascsurg.org.
The editors and reviewers of this article have no relevant financial relationships to disclose per the JVS policy that requires reviewers to decline review of any manuscript for which they may have a conflict of interest.